Thursday 20 February 2014

DIY Fake Cupcake


Since I'm selling lots of cupcake/cake toppers, I can't afford to buy cupcake every time I have new topper to put on sale. Usually I will stand the toppers using polystyrene and it's not exciting at all. Why not make one that can last longer and standardized my prop for product picture.


So, I'm google 'how to make fake cupcake" and choose to follow the tutorial from this link for the base but for the icing, i followed some tutorial from youtube that I can't remember the link. So here is the tutorial from me after try and error.



Materials, for cupcake:

  • Foam Insulation Sealant/Expandable Foam (I bought this at Ace Hardware since I don't want to get frustrated when going to small hardware shop and the owner will ask me back "What is that?". Pffttt) 
  • Cupcake liner
  • Cupcake pan
  • Round cardboard (measure your cupcake liner base)
  • Craft paint (chocolate, yellow, white)
Glue round cardboard to the base of the liner.
This is to make sure that the base stay flat and not rounded.
I've tried already, trust me, u need that cardboard.

Prepare your liner

This is how it looks like. Do not put over 1/2 of the cup.
The foam comes out fast, so be careful and experiment first.
Use your wooden stick to make it a bit rounded so it will expand nicely.

Let it dry overnight.

Color your cupcake. I choose vanilla cupcake.

Done baking! Yeay!

Next, let's make the icing. My fav part when doing the real baking.


Materials (For icing):
  • Softclay - White color (Bought at Daiso)
  • Water
  • White glue
  • Icing bag
  • Plastic container
  • Wooden stick
  • Icing tips
  • Optional: Craft paint, glitter
Put some clay in clean container.
Add a couple of teaspoon of water.

Stir it until it become concentrated.

Add a little bit of glue. This is to make the icing harder.
You can choose to skip this step but I want it hard and sturdy.

Stir until it become like buttercream icing consistency.

Put the tips into the bag and seal it with clear tape.
Pipe your icing and let it dry overnight or couple of days.

Tada!
It's not that good, but at least it's still look like icing shape rite?

Notes:
If you want to make this as prop for your topper, make sure after pipe your icing, poke a cake pop stick through the wet icing until u reach the cupcake. Don't worry about the cupcake because it is light and easy to go through. I think the texture quite similar to polystyrene. In the end, u will have a hole in the center of the cupcake.  

Happy crafting!
Nard Aziz

1 comment: